Current Fishing Report - Updated Through Jan 2012
Jan 25 -30
Johnny and Stacy Powers arrived for their 10th visit in the last 3 years. Fishing on Gypsy they raised 149 sailfish and released 77 on light tackle in 5 days.
David, Hunter and Will Martin returned for the 4th year in a row. Fishing on Maverick they raised 35 sailfish and released 26 conventional in 2 days fishing. They also caught 3 dorado. Our crew estimated one of the sails was a monster at 150 lb+.
Myron Guymon and Richard Parr arrived for their 2nd trip. Fishing on Aquardiente they raised 32 sailfish, released 7 conventional and 3 on fly in 3 days. They also caught 10 dorado.
Mark Spurgeon, Oivind Naess, Blair MacKenzie, Stefan Eyram, and Kevin Delano arrived. Fishing on Fortuna they raised 57 sailfish and released 32 in 2 days. They had a marlin bite as well, but didn't get it.
Dwight Cook fished 1 day on Maverick and raised 18 sailfish, releasing 5 on light tackle.
Jan 22 - 25
The Grau/ Rodriguez group returned for the 3rd year in a row. Luis Rodriguez, José Grau, Joey Gonzalez Sr., Joey Gonzalez Jr, Robert Birriel, Sr., and Robert Birriel Jr. Fishing on Gypsy and Maverick they raised 74 sailfish and released 38 in 3 days.
Antonio Vidal, Jose Moscoso, and Miguel Mendez arrived to fish with us. Fishing on Fortuna they raised 38 sailfish and released 14 in 3 days. On their 4th day they decided to go inshore and released 2 nice Roosterfish.
Jan 19 - 21
Tom Valenti returned for his 5th trip with us. Also joining Tom were Rex Carroll, Hugh Kessler, and Jim Clifton. Fishing on Gypsy they raised 42 sailfish and released 26 conventional in 3 days fishing, They also caught 1 Blue marlin.
Daric Closs, Rick Helmcamp and Cliff Peck returned for their 2nd trip. Fishing on Maverick they raised 46 sailfish and released 28 conventional in 3 days fishing. They also caught 1 Blue marlin.
Marc Lewis, Ian Hancock, and Duck Wright raised 42 sailfish and released 20 conventional in 2 days fishing. On the last day they spent a 1/2 day chasing marlin, but ended up with 10 dorado with one being 45 lbs.
Niels Erichsen & his teammate fishing the local tournament raised 24 sailfish and released 13 conventional on Fortuna.
Jan 15 - 17
Jim White returned for his 2nd trip with us. His 3rd trip is back again in March. Joining Jim was Robert Cramer. In 3 days fishing on Gypsy they raised 37 sailfish and released 23 on light tackle.
Ned & Jessie Stephenson also joined us for 1 day fishing. Fishing on Maverick they raised 20 sailfish and released 13.
Jan 13 - 14
Joe Segobia, Robert Delaloye, Richard Rosencrans, Andrew Nugent, Michael Lovell, Lawrence & Jonathan Lunard, Randall Villaire, James Valnalstine, Thomas Mooney, and Steven Sahinen arrived at Pacific Fins. In just 2 days fishing aboard Gypsy, Maverick and Fortuna they raised 130 sailfish and released 85!
Jan 9 - 13
Martin and Richard Olsen arrived for some Guatemala sailfishing. Splitting time between Aquardiente and Fortuna they raised 55 sailfish and released 31. They also caught 1 350 lb. Blue marlin and 5 dorado.
Jan 7 - 11
Murat Iyriboz, his Turkish TV crew, and some clients arrived in Guatemala. Joining Murat were Enver Eren, Gokhan Carmikhl, Olcay Argun, Mete Toner, Turan Mutlu, and Yagmur Dogan. Fishing on Gypsy and Maverick they raised 91 sailfish and released 57 on light tackle. They also caught TWO 450 lb. Black marlin and 2 dorado
Jan 1 - 3
Tim Moody and Michele Jebeles arrived for 3 days fishing. Aboard Gypsy they raised 26 sailfish and released 16 conventional. They also caught 2 dorado and raised 1 Marlin.
The Castillo group raised 7 sailfish and released 4 conventional on Jan 1. They also caught 1 25 lb dorado.
End of Dec 2011
-The Alejos group raised 23 sailfish and Maverick and released 12 conventional.
-Greg, Deb, Alex, Dima, and Masha Wagner arrived. Aboard Gypsy they raised 22 sailfish and released 12 conventional in 3 days fishing. They also raised 4 marlin and released 1 Blue.
- Larry Ekey, Bob Rice, Larry Rice and John Speilberger arrived for their 2nd trip with us. Fishing on Fortuna in 3 days they raised 27 sailfish and released 20 conventional. They also caught 1 Blue marlin, 1 Striped marlin and 1 dorado!
- We fished 2 of our boats in the 71st International Light Tackle Tournament. A total of 1,169 Billfish were released by 31 boats during the 4-Day Tournament.
Winning Boat: 54 sailfish releases
Winning Team: Puerto Rico Light Tackle
Most Releases on 1 Boat/Day: 26 – Day 1
Best Day of Tournament: 404 sailfish releases – Day 1
- Don Gregory, Jack Kehl, Jim Kehl, Kurt Schmitt, Randy Marker, and Damian Lang arrived for 2 days fishing. The fishing slowed a bit, but the good news is each angler released their first sailfish. They raised 14 sailfish and released 8 conventional on Maverick and Aquardiente. They also caught 1 dorado and 2 tuna.
- Morten Hagen and Reid Hagelin arrived from Norway to test their mettle with sailfish on fly. Fishing for 4 days on Aquardiente they raised 19 sailfish and released 7 on fly rods. They also caught 8 tuna and 1 dorado on fly.
- Chris Harle from Canada and his group of 4 returned for a day's fishing. Fishing on Gypsy they raised 8 sailfish and released 6 conventional. They also caught 1 dorado.
- Kevin Bjork, Tom Weber, Dave O'Brien, Dave Palmer, Bob Wiesner, Kevin Ries, Bill Meyers, Brian Holcomb, Jay Sleiter, Dan Potter, Brad Qualey, Tom Monahan, Culver Davis II, Culver Davis III, David Johnson and Gary Stone arrived for their 2nd trip with us. Fishing on Gypsy, Aquardiente, Fortuna and Canaso in 3 days fishing they raised 61 sailfish and released 34 conventional. They also raised 2 marlin, caught 93 tuna and 29 dorado. A well-rounded fishing experience to say the least.
- Mike Callahan returned for his 5th visit with his fishing buddy. In 3 days fishing on Gypsy they raised 54 sailfish and released 25 on light tackle. They also caught 1 Blue marlin, 8 tuna, and 3 dorado.
- We welcomed Henrik Dalsgaard and Henrik Westergaard from Denmark for their first visit with us. In 5 days fishing the raised 35 sailfish and released 30 conventional on both Gypsy and Aquardiente. They also caught 11 dorado on the trip. The last few days they were hooking up all fish themselves.
- Chuck Neeld arrived for a day's fishing. Fishing on Gypsy he raised 4 sailfish and released 3 conventional. Chuck also caught 3 dorado
- Byrd Miller, Byrd Miller the son, Catherine and Eliza Miller arrived for their 2nd trip with us in Guatemala. In 2 days fishing they raised 15 sailfish and released 12 conventional on Gypsy.